Italian Critical Infrastructures Secretariat
Presidency of the Council of Ministers
Vice-Admiral Carlo Massagli was born in Taranto August 24th 1959. He attended the Italian Naval Academy from 1978 to 1982, at the end of which he was promoted Ensign. In 1983 he was awarded the qualification for AS/IOC Service and Electronic Warfare and in 1986 the qualification in “TLC/IOC”, when attending the Masters Course at the Italian Naval Academy.
During his career, VA Massagli has been Class Officer for the Cadets of the Italian Naval Academy, Chief of Service Operations of the Italian Ship “ALISEO” (from 1988 to 1989), Commanding Officer of the Italian Ship “VIESTE” (from 1989 to 1990), responsible for Component Operations and the final preparation and tests of seaworthiness of the two new Destroyers of “Admirals Class” (from 1990 to 1992) and then Head of the Operations Department of the Italian Ship “Luigi DURANDE DE LA PENNE” (from 1993 to 1996) and Commanding Officer of the Italian Ship “LIBECCIO” (from 1997 to 1999).
From 1999 to 2004 he was assigned to the Italian Navy General Staff as Chief of the 1° Office of the Financial Bureau, specifically operating on programs for the modernization and the renewal of naval resources. From August 2005 to October 2006 he was the Commanding Officer of the Aircraft carrier “Giuseppe GARIBALDI” and then from October 2006 to February 2008 he was assigned to the Defence General Staff as Chief of Office of Financial Planning and as Deputy Chief of General Office for Planning and Budgeting.
Promoted Rear-Admiral on July 1st 2013, he was the Chief of COMFORAL and COMITMARFOR.
From August 2013 to July 2017 was Chief Division Military Policy and Planning Italian Defence General Staff.
From July 2017 to February 2018 was CHOD’s Advisor and Chairman of Steering Committee for the Implementation of Defence’s White book
From February 2018 is Military Advisor to the President of the Council of Ministers
Promoted Vice-Admiral on 1st January 2017.
VA Massagli has two children, Giovanni and Marco.
- Great Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic;
- Gold Cross with star for 40 years of service;
- Mauritian Medal;
- Medal of Honor for extended navigation of 2° degree (15 years);
- Bronze medal for extended Command (10 years);
- Commemorative medal for military service “Multinational Peace Forces in Lebanon”;
- NATO Medal for “Sharp Guard Maritime Monitors – Maritime Guard Operation”;
- Medal for “WEU Operation in former Yugoslavia”;
- Commemorative Cross for Peace Military Mission in Kosovo;
- Ribbon of Merit for his service to the Navy General Staff and Central Bodies staff by the Chief of Staff of the Navy.